Thursday, August 22, 2002

My idea is still good, but not original


My Entertainment PC idea that I came up with and which I still think IS a good idea, is not as special as I thought.

This article (DVRs following the path of 8-tracks?) points out that TiVo-like stand alone devices are not a compelling enough product on their own, though highly popular with customers. The article makes better sense of that seemingly contradictory statement.

The article also points out that Microsoft, with various computer manufactures, will be releasing a version of Windows called the Media Center Edition. Sounds perfect for my box, but I doubt it'll be availible in the retail channels. Of course I bet in a few months, after its release, it'll be availible at computer shows. You know, the ones where they have used software and hardware that you're really not sure how they got ahold of it.

I still think my plan will be cheaper than anything Gateway or Dell would put out, but who knows.

No comments: