Friday, February 14, 2003

Auto Badges


Someone hit my website searching for what the GLS badge (on VWs and perhaps other cars) ment. I was curious as well. So I did some hunting. Here is what I found:


  • GT = Gran Turismo (no not the game)
  • GTI = Same as GT, the I standing for Injected, for Fuel-Injected. Pointless in this day and is more used as a badge of honor rather than specific meaning.
  • GLX = GTI/GLI (according to VW) The X was probably introduced to ease the confusion after all the cars were fuel-injected, however GTI was/is still a very popular badge among enthusists.
  • GTO = Gran Turismo Omologato. The first part is Grand Touring, but Omologato translates to "Accredited" by Babelfish. According to various net sources it loosly means, "pieces from different cars."
  • GL = Gran Luxe. Grand Deluxe. Humm...my Jetta GL isn't really either, but that's what I found for GL.
  • GLS = Gran Luxe "Sport"?
  • SX = Various meanings. Sports Crossover was a common one found, but it's likely that's a newer meaning. My opinion has always been SX=SuX. LOL
  • RX = Rotary Experimental. This is a Mazda specific code. Used on other cards it's likely to have a different meaning.

I'm stopping there because this is HARD and also I need to get out of here. If you have any additions or corrections, please submit them to my comments, just below.

VW Badge Source Info: rec.autos.vw [W] GENERAL, FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION (FAQ)

No comments: