Someone hit my website searching for what the GLS badge (on VWs and perhaps other cars) ment. I was curious as well. So I did some hunting. Here is what I found:
- GT = Gran Turismo (no not the game)
- GTI = Same as GT, the I standing for Injected, for Fuel-Injected. Pointless in this day and is more used as a badge of honor rather than specific meaning.
- GLX = GTI/GLI (according to VW) The X was probably introduced to ease the confusion after all the cars were fuel-injected, however GTI was/is still a very popular badge among enthusists.
- GTO = Gran Turismo Omologato. The first part is Grand Touring, but Omologato translates to "Accredited" by Babelfish. According to various net sources it loosly means, "pieces from different cars."
- GL = Gran Luxe. Grand Deluxe. Humm...my Jetta GL isn't really either, but that's what I found for GL.
- GLS = Gran Luxe "Sport"?
- SX = Various meanings. Sports Crossover was a common one found, but it's likely that's a newer meaning. My opinion has always been SX=SuX. LOL
- RX = Rotary Experimental. This is a Mazda specific code. Used on other cards it's likely to have a different meaning.
I'm stopping there because this is HARD and also I need to get out of here. If you have any additions or corrections, please submit them to my comments, just below.
VW Badge Source Info: rec.autos.vw [W] GENERAL, FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION (FAQ)