Tuesday, April 09, 2002

Stuck


I'm stuck at work. *grumble*

We had a server with a bad cooling fan in it. We'll I had to take the whole thing down and remove the hard drive back plain (basically a daughter board) to replace a simple fan. I wasn't too thrilled about that. The bad one was REALLY wiped out though. I don't think I've ever seen a cooling fan that bad. It still spins, but barely.

You say, "Well that shouldn't take long!" You are absolutely correct! Unfortunatly in the middle of this one of the hard drives desided to fail! Luckly we run RAID 5, so the other two drives picked up the slack and we didn't loose any data. Also lucky is that we had a spare drive to replace the bad one with. The third lucky thing is that this happened after hours so no one is here whining about not being able to get thier data. Which honestly I couldn't blame them for whining if it would have happened durring the day. I'm simply rebuilding the RAID stripe, so the new drive will now carry the redundancy weight the other drive did. I could do that any time, but having only 2 drives up is asking for trouble. If I were to have lost a second drive, all of the data would have been lost!

Unfortunatly rebuilding a RAID stripe is a SLOW process. So I'm just sitting here twiddling my thumbs.

Actually I updated my webcam page. I still need to do the others, but right now I just want to go HOME!

No comments: