Friday, April 19, 2002

Stuck at work...AGAIN!


Am I a glutton for work? A work-a-holic? Maybe a little bit. This week I’ve been doing a lot of after-hours work because that is the only time I can do it. I can't very well reboot a server, work on the main fiber optic link or rebuild a server during the day when everyone is using it.

Tonight I'm relocating our FTP server. The server it was on is going off lease and we are sending it back to IBM. Thank goodness and good riddance. It wasn't my favorite machine. I'm sure I'll have people disagree with me, but this thing was barely a server. More like a glorified desktop PC. Sure it had a RAID card, but any PC could have that. Aside from that there is nothing special about this PC. It has ISA slots for crying out loud! ISA slots when servers now days have 64 bit PCI slots. Time to get with the times IBM.

To be fair this server primarily ran FTP and that is all, so it really didn't require much power. Actually running RAID in this case has been a real pain in my ass. I can't Ghost the system! I've tried, it didn't work. It was probably how I originally configured it 2 years ago. So needless to say I haven't a clue how I did it now! The main thing is that I get the downloads partition onto the new box. I can but would rather not have to, rebuild the OS partition from scratch. I also have some web pages that HAVE to run as well. They gather data for our prospective customers. The big boss will definitely want that up and running!

I'm running a windows backup to a network folder right now so I can move it to the new machine before I wipe out the old machine. I'm confident that I can do this, but it's taking longer than I anticipated. That I don't like. I still really want to go hiking and take pictures tomorrow. I don't want to be here troubleshooting a damn server. Ugh!

The backup still has 8 minutes. Enough time to be annoying, but not enough to go get some food. If I was smart I would have considered that before I left the house this morning and I would have brought in my leftovers from last night.

I made a kick butt stir-fry. The night before I cut some small boneless pork chops into strips, added chopped green pepper, onion and carrots, along with the pork into a big bowl and then poured some Hawaiian marinade on it. I fried it up last night and it was great. I ate it on a bed of rice.

I don't know why, but I only just recently discovered the marinating! It makes such a wonderful difference to bad meat!

Well nuts…only a few more minutes and I can really start to work. I better go prepare.

No comments: