Wednesday, October 15, 2003

From Biggest to Smallest



The Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida has put up a very interesting Java applet on their site. It begins as a view of the Milky Way Galaxy viewed from a distance of 10 million light years and then zooms into towards Earth in powers of ten of distance. 10 million, to one million, to 100,000 light years and so on and then when it finally reaches a large Oak tree leaf. But that is not all it zooms into the leaf until it reaches to the level of the quarks viewed at 100 attometers.

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/powersof10/index.html

This is a fantastic representation of how magnificent the Universe is and how vastly infinite it is both in the macroscopic and the
microscopic level.

Please note: I did not write the above information. I copied it from an email that I got from a buddy of mine. I suspect he got it from some news site. I felt it was worth sharing. If the original author and copy write holder wishes for me to take this down I will be more than happy to do so. I suspect that Florida State University would not have a problem with the link however.

No comments: