Tuesday, July 02, 2002

Interstate Speed Limits


I'll be the first to admit that I like to drive fast and unimpeded. But there should be better rules for driving on the interstate. Note, I'm refering to the interstate system alone, not highways or city streets.

Rule 1 - You should not be allowed to drive on the interstate if you cannot or will not drive, at minimum, 10 MPH less than the posted limit. That means no slower than 60 MPH if the limit is 70 MPH. Traffic volume, in during rush hour, is an obvious exception.

If your car is not capible of driving interstate speeds or is unsafe at those speeds, what in friggin world are you doing on the interstate to start with!?!?! I see this all the time. Old klunker vehicles that look like they were driven out of the junk heap crawling down the interstate. Where is the state patrol for these morons? And what about the local heavy haulers. I'm not talking about the big rigs that ship products all over the nation. Those guys keep up and drive with manners and caution (generally). I'm talking about the local gravel hauler or waste hauler. They lumber off the on ramp at barely merge speed and tie everything into knots. It makes no sense.

If there were no other ways to get around it would make sense. But there are almost always other highways or local roads that parallel the interstates. There are exceptions, always are, however those exceptions usually are in remote areas where traffic isn't a problem. So, those people who cant or are unwilling to drive the speed limit ("its too fast!") should take alternate routes and let us who are capible use this wonderful method of getting around quickly.

Rule 2 - Fast Traffic goes in the left lane. Slow traffic goes in the right lane. This should be common sense for everyone, however there are a lot of people who apparently don't understand this very basic and well known rule. It should be in the driving tests!

Every day it seems like I get behind someone in the fast lane who is driving slow for no apparent reason. I'm not talking about coming up on them at 90 MPH either. I'm talking about driving the speed limit and coming up behind them, in 3 and 4 lane interstate roads no less! Hey I know I feel more comfortable over there in the left lane myself. Especially in traffic as there is a nice wide left-hand shoulder to pull off onto if traffic halts very quickly. Whomever came up with that idea was a genious. Anyway, if someone comes up on my butt I let them by as quickly as I can. I don't understand why others can't seem to get this concept. I suppose they think they know better than you and deside they will force you to slow down. Well not only is this dangerous it is infuriating. Those two together make it even more dangerous. The faster driver is going to get upset, impairing thier driving with anger. The faster driver is likely to ride the butt of the slower driver making the chances for an accident higher.

Now if that slower driver was to speed up for a moment to get past a car in the right lane and then pull into that right lane as well, everyone would be happy. The faster driver could speed along and the slower driver would not be in immediate danger. Slow drivers in the fast lane are simply dangerous. There is no question about it. Who made them honorary state patrol, to keep peoples speed down. I don't know one person who has ever complained about a slow driver in the far right lane.

Rule 3 - Blinkers are MANDATORY

I get mad when people don't use thier blinkers in the city, but generally you are going slow enough to react to those idiots, if you pay attention. But on the interstate, especailly multi-lane interstates, you really NEED them. If you look to your right, to drop into one of the slower lanes, there is no one there, you feel secure. But if suddenly someone in the right lane next to it desides to merge into the lane you were about to, how are you going to know without blinkers? I can tell when a car in front of me is going to go based on how the driver acts, regardless of thier blinker use (most of the time). But you don't have the time to study the drivers to your left or your right except at a glance. A blinker is a very telling sign that they are doing something. Without it you just don't know until they make thier move.

So, if someone doesn't use thier blinker and they cause an accident because of thier lack of use, they should go to jail, loose thier license or pay a heavy fine. I don't know the typical way a state patrol officer would handle this situation, but I bet generally its treated pretty lightly. But it shouldn't be. They wouldn't be let off the hook if they drive with no headlights, though I see that sometimes too. These people are putting other innocent peoples lives at risk, yet there is no strong deturing mechanisim to stop them from doing just that.

Why do you think road rage is such an epidemic on the interstates and highways? Because there are drivers out there who do not consider thier fellow drivers. Hey I drive fast, but when I get behind someone slow, I try to cool myself off and back off and remind myself that I'm not in a hurry. However, at the same time, the people who are driving slow, or not using thier blinkers or have other automotive issues that could put others at risk, need to consider what they are doing. They need to take responsiblity for thier actions. And there needs to be REAL consequences when they choose not to. And that includes me and every other fast and sporty driver.

Just as an FYI, I avoid changing lanes every 5 seconds. I see others jockeying for position all the time and they are even more dangerous than the slow people, but the traffic jockeys are much more rare than the crawlers. I consider myself sporty but safe and considerate. I use my blinker about 95% of the time. I will admit that I occationally forget myself, but not in high traffic situations. I drive fast, but I maintain a safe speed for those around me. I pull over into a slower lane for faster traffic. I don't honk or flip off slow drivers, even though I'm tempted. If someone wants to merge, as long as they use thier blinker, I'm more than happy to allow them in. Don't use your blinker, you can sit and wait or try forcing your way in like a prick. It's up to you.

Ahhh...I feel better now for having ranted and raved for a bit. Just be happy I didn't get into my lothing of SUVs. ;)

No comments: