Thursday, May 02, 2002

Ugh


There are days when you really shouldn't roll out of bed. Today has become one of those for me. It started innocently enough, but as I went to turn my computer on to check my e-mail...........nothing.

I got a kernel error. In otherwords the main part of an OS, the part that talks to all the hardware, was corupted. I've tried to repair it, only to be unable. I'm afraid that the drive may have become corupt. God I hope not. I have a LOT of data on there that I cannot replace.

I have some backups, but they are about 6 months old now, guess it's time to make some more!

I've gone and bought a new 60 GB drive and I'm installing Windows 2000 on it right now. I should be able to slave the old drive and pull the data off it, if the coruption is minor. So it's not a total loss, but it is a pain in the butt.

I've also desided to try installing RedHat Linux. I'm still not 100% certain about that as last time I tried it was a total failure. We'll see this time. But first things first....get Windows up and my data safe.

Oh the other crappy things today:
1. It's raining.
2. I always seem to get behind idiots and really poor drivers when I'm in a cranky mood.
3. My linux test box I was working with at work (not my personal PC) didn't install right and the mouse is all screwed up. Since I dont know Linux I cant fix it without reinstalling.
4. John, my old roomie, some how lost his user profile on his computer here at work (we work together). I don't know how he did it, but he completely lost it and had to recreate a new one from scratch. That is a pain and he's been calling me most of the day. I don't mind that, it's not his fault, but it's still not something a person want to deal with when they are already screaming about two other computers.

oh yea..
5. I ordered, online, two serial numbers for Dave (my boss, see the boss cam 3rd link on the left) and myself so we could run Nero 5.5 CD burning software. I was running EZ CD Creator 4.0, but now i'm running Windows XP and it is not compatible. So I'm sitting here unable to burn CDs. What a pain.

No comments: