Monday, August 09, 2004

House

I guess I should write and explain that I'm buying a house. The link on my previous post goes to a gallery of pictures of the house.

Some details:

  1. It's 52 years old (built in 1952 for those bad at math, myself included)
  2. I close on August 31st, but we may try to close sooner if possible.
  3. It's on 0.97 acres of land, so you can be sure I'll be busy caring for that yard!
  4. It's about 2000 sq ft of house, but there is a good portion of the basement that they counted as livable space that'll need some serious TLC before it'll be usable, but that's not a problem. The upstairs is in great shape.
  5. Officially it's 3 bedrooms, 2 bath. The reality is there are 2 usable bedrooms and one bath. In the basement is a cave that could be a bedroom, but will be eventually converted into an office and then there is the 3/4 bathroom. It's cramped but functional.
  6. It has a nice patio out back for BBQs and entertaining.
  7. REAL hardwood floors. I'll be having them refinished before moving in as the current owners tried to redo them and kinda crapped them up, but luckly, no damage, just a poor job.
  8. The kitchen has a nice new tile floor.
  9. The sweet refrigerator with a water filtration system is staying.
  10. It's in a GREAT neighborhood, with little to no traffic, except for the local residents. In other words there are no through roads, so no one will try to use the neighborhood as a shortcut.
  11. It's physically closer to work, but I think the commute will be as long. There is more traffic on this side of town.
  12. I'm only 5-10 minutes away from a nice large mall with a huge megaplex movie theater, including an IMAX screen.
I'm sure there are lots and lots of other good and bad things about the house that I'm still going to discover. I'm quite confident the house will be a nice one though. I like the idea of eventually redoing the basement. It'll be a fun project. And of course none of it has to happen right away since the main floor is in great shape. We'll probably get settled in first and furnish the place before looking to do a lot of remodeling. Little projects here and there. It doesn't have to be done tomorrow. I'll have to keep reminding myself of that. I can be a bit impatient sometimes.

I'm having it inspected tonight. Hopefully the inspection goes well. If not I'll have to start over. If it goes well then it's just a matter of getting everything wrapped up and waiting for the bank. *fingers crossed*

No comments: