Friday, July 11, 2003

Kids or Kittens?


I recently got a couple of cute little kittens. Loki, who's currently about 10 weeks old, and Cleopatra (Cleo), who is about 4 months old, or so. This is not the first time i've had kittens and yes they are a hand full, but this is the first time I've had two. I don't have to worry about one, I have to worry about them both at the same time. Trying to play with them both equally, get them not to fight too rough, dealing with a wet nose in the ear purring in the middle of the night. They wake up at 5am and run around, including on me while I try to sleep.

But none of that was as intense, scary and upsetting as this afternoon. Cleo went to the vet's office this morning. It was her big Spay Day. When I picked her up this afternoon she was pretty upset. She really didn't want to be in her pet carrier any more. That's all I could tell. She was meowing a lot more than normal, but I didn't think too much of that, she had surgery after all. But when I got her home I understood better why. She was in pain I think.

When we got home I took her into my bedroom and closed the door so that Loki wouldn't bother her. I knew she needed time away from him so she wouldn't play/wrestle. I'm not sure why I did, but I layed her down and looked at her stitching. It had come undone. It wasn't a gaping wound, but it wasn't going to heal right like that and could become infected. It freaked me out at that time though.

I quickly called the vets office. They had not yet closed, thankfully. They told me to bring her down. They quickly looked at it and agreed that it wasn't right. So she got staples. It made me feel better because I felt they'd hold much better. Well by the time we got home again one of them had already popped loose. Ugh!

Loki was being a nut ball because he could tell something wasn't right and I was trying to keep them separated. If I left him alone, he'd cry. If I left her alone, she'd cry. She was also running around too much and in general freaking me out. In hindsite I'm sure she was fine, but I was still upset about the whole thing.

I held her close and by the scruf (They don't squirm too much like that) for awhile, until I could get her calm enough to sleep. She's slept most of the evening. I have to keep her from licking her wound. I also have to keep Loki at bay, which isnt easy.

Well shit, as I write this, Cleo lays on the floor and snags one of the staples on the carpet and opens her wound again. It's one one of the ends and... Dammit, another staple lost. Ugh! We'll be going back to the vets office again in the morning. This friggin sucks. I'm all stressed out again.

I don't think she is in any danger, but she's in her carrier now. I don't know what else to do but keep her in there so she doesn't hurt herself.

I don't know how people with kids deal with kinda stuff. I'm a wreak and I don't think i'm going to sleep too well tonight. I just want to protect her and I feel like I'm doing a poor job. Both Cleo and Loki keep upsetting me. I'm snapping at them and periodically having to put Loki in the bedroom to leave Cleo alone and it bothers me terribly. Normally I don't have to act like this and everything is fine, but neither of them understand what is going on and they cant understand the rules. How do you hold your cat still in your arms to remove a half pulled out staple from her belly without hurting her and more and trying to maintain your own composier?

I feel like I've been a bad guy tonight. It upsets me greatly, but I'm only trying to help.

No comments: