Monday, December 04, 2006

Odd place in my life

I've realized recently that my needs have taken over my wants. What I mean is that I am for the first time in my life looking at toys I want and am honestly evaluating the item and saying to myself, "Do I really need that?" It's kinda freaky.

Like I WANT a 30GB (or bigger) iPod. But I don't NEED it. My car doesn't have a mini-jack input for an MP3 player which means I'd have to use a cassette adapter or an RF adapter. Both suck. Also, I listen to most of my music at work rather than mobile. I have a small portable hard drive that works for that. It supports both USB2 and Firewire so I can hook it to almost any system and have my tunes without some weird DRM system.

I'm also driving the same car I've had for the last seven years. I could get a new car but there is no pressing reason to.

Part of me mourns the lost of my inner child who just 'wants'. The other part of me is happy. It feels like a mile stone in my life. A step in my growing up. Funny considering I'm 32 years old. I'm sure if I had a ton more money in my pocket my feelings would be different. I guess I'm just having a hard time justifying spending money on things I don't need any more.

No comments: