Monday, May 17, 2004

Photo Printer


Despite the cheap 'photo' printers that are out in the market today, I still prefer to have my digital photos printed professionally on quality paper at a price I can live with.

I have been using Shutterfly for 2 or 3 years now and I've been happy with their quality. However, I recently ordered a beautiful photo from Hunkabutta recently and he uses a service out of Washington state called PhotoAccess. Their prices are great and they offer a number of different products, aside from simply printing to photo paper (the canvas prints should appeal to the artists out there).

What stood out for me was the quality. The photo I received looked amazing. Of course a lot that had to do with Mike's (Hunkabutta) photography skill. But the reproduction was beautiful!

They also didn't trim the photo to 'fit' the page. Mike's photo didn't fit the 11x14 ratio perfectly so they just printed it to the 14" and let their be a white border on the left and right. Shutterfly has a tendency to crop your image to fit the format resulting, quite often, in chopped heads and the like. I'd much rather have a white border that can be trimmed manually or masked out with a nice frame mat than have my photo cropped.

No comments: