Saturday, May 24, 2003

Memorial Day Weekend Photos


Ok so it's a couple days before memorial day but I wanted to share these photos I took. Grandma wanted a picture of the Tennessee capital building, so I went a took a few.



click image for full size

I parked down by the farmers market, just next to the bicentennial Mall. I donned my inline skates and headed to the capital. Skating up steps is NOT easy. Getting down was a whole other story. I got yelled at by the park police. Apparently I wasn't supposed to have my skates up there. Bah! I ended up skating down the hill! Let me tell you, that was an experience I won't soon forget. I was surprised how well the skates rolled on the grass to be honest.

I got to my car, took off my skates, had lunch at the farmers market (they have lots of food stands inside). I then noticed the big black globe. It's a huge hunk of polished granite on a fountain of sorts. Actually I think it "floats" on top of it. I'm not sure exactly, but you can "roll" the globe. I got a few pictures there. Click here for more information about this memorial.


click image for full size

The text reads:

"TENNESSEE WORLD WAR II MEMORIAL - THE STARS BEFORE YOU HONOR THE 5,731 TENNESSEANS WHO MADE THE ULTIMATE SACRAFICE DURING THE GLOBAL WAR.

THE GOLD STAR MOTHERS OF TENNESSEE RECIEVED THIS SYMBOL UPON THE DEATH OF THEIR LOVED ONE.

OPEN TIME CAPSULE BELOW ON 11 NOVEMBER 2045"

The Bicentennial Mall is really a memorial park for all the Tennesseans who have lost their lives protecting the United States. It's a beautiful tribute. The few pictures I took only scratch the surface of the various memorials. They are many and varied though-out the park.

I then headed off to get my hair cut, but I was early for my appointment. I was driving by the Centennial park (where the Parthenon is), so I decided to stop by and take some photos there as well. The city does a good job of making the park a very pretty place to visit.

Click here to see all the photos at ShutterFly.com.

No comments: