Friday, July 27, 2007

Daily Soap Box - U.S.A. != Enemy of Russia

OK the Cold War has been over for almost 20 years now. Are we clear on that part? OK. Good. So what is with Putin trying to paint the U.S.A. as the primary enemy of Russia?

WHAT THE HELL!?

I know the last few years we've not agreed on a number of issues but... ENEMY?? Come on!

We may be a competitor but certainly not an enemy. With the exception of older Americans who've lived through the Cold War and are still suspicious, I'd bet that most Americans would look at a number of other countries that are a bigger threat than Russia.

That is not to suggest Russia shouldn't be respected as a country. What I'm saying is that we don't see Russians as a people with an ideology that is against our own. I have no personal issue against Russians. I am wondering what Putin is up to but I don't have any problem with Russia. The U.S.A. is arrogant in its global policies. I realize this will piss off some countries, but does that make enemies?

My opinion is that Putin doesn't like what Bush has been doing and is pushing his personal disappointment onto the entire country.

No comments: