Friday, June 28, 2002

The NashGrill



Yesterday John and I went to a new resturant for lunch. It was ok. Nothing special. I'm pretty sure it is called NashGrill, but I'm not sure. It's so new it's not even listed on Nashville City Search. If I were them I wouldn't want to be on there either. This place still needs some work.

The food was good. Nothing fantastic, but good. The menu is very small and is really "bar food", but the decor makes it look much more hip and upscale. Yet they also have video games. This is a place with a serious identity crisis going on.

We went at lunch, but I bet at night it would look better. There were little flaws and cheaply done design pieces everywhere. It's like the owner has great style and taste, but doesn't have the budget to do it. Like the Trading Places people from TLC did it on thier $1000 budget. There is only so much you can do, ya know?

Lastly the people working there were, frankly, a bit back-woods. Hey I have no problems with funky looking people. I go just down the street from this place to the Sherlock Holmes Pub all the time and while Margery, co-owner, is the most wonderful woman you'll ever meet, she's not much to look at. Still again, with the look of NashGrill you expect young good looking people working the place. Instead our waitress, while very nice and helpful (we tipped well), was not much of a looker. And there was this funky dude that was sweating like crazy in his grunge outfit (he was wearing a Melvins t-shirt!). He walked back and forth about 4-5 times while we were eating. Regardless if he was a cook (god I hope not) or a guy working on the place, or someones buddy, he shouldn't have been walking around.

My ultimate judgement is a 5 out of 10. It has potential, but it needs to figure out if its a resturant or a bar and adjust accordingly. It'll not survive in its current form. Perhaps that corner is just cursed. We'll see.

No comments: